Garden Town of the North-Photos by Dragonfly Spins

Iroquois Falls is not just another paper town – we are “The Garden Town of the North”. Our vibrant flower beds are spread over town for all to enjoy. We may have one primary industry but there is so much more to our little town.

We have so much to offer - golfing, swimming, fishing, camping, tennis, hockey, bowling, curling, and skating. Our summer festivals are top notch. The Porquis Blues Festival and Summer Paperfest bring people from all over the region to listen to great music. If you enjoy fishing, there are two fishing tournaments to choose from, the Annual Ice Fishing derby in March and the Search for Moby Pike tournament in June.

We are home to the Jr. A hockey team, the Abitibi Eskimos. They play throughout the winter at the Jus Jordan arena which is nicknamed the Igloo. Come out and join the Igloomaniacs and watch some great hockey.

Snowmobiling is still going strong. Our trails connect you with the surrounding areas as well as great scenery.

The local Pioneer Museum has a vast variety of our local history. Come visit and they will take you back in time. The Chamber of Commerce offers tours of our Paper mill, AbitibiBowater. They also host Garden Town Celebrations in August.

These are only a few things that we have to offer, there is so much more.

We not only have a great quality of life but affordable as well. We are only 45 minutes away from Timmins and our cost of living is much lower. More and more people are settling into our small community and commuting to work in other communities. Our low cost of living allows young people to afford luxuries such as ATV’s, boats and larger homes. We are close to nature but do not have to sacrifice any necessary services such as health care. We have a Family Health Team who will soon be moving into their new offices.

We are a proud community and our warm, friendly atmosphere shines through like no other. It’s a great place to live!

Photos by Judy Misener-Shorelines Photography

JUS JORDAN RECREATION CENTRE


705-258-3436

Aquatic and Fitness Centre -25 meter indoor swimming pool

Whirlpool - Saunas

Squash Court

Weight Lifting and Cardio Room

Community Hall + multi-purpose room

Tennis Courts


Arena

NHL size ice surface (200' X 85)

Spectator capacity of 1500

Community volunteer built project

Indoor summer sports


Curling Club

5 sheets of ice

Guest lounge

RECREATIONAL ACTIVITIES


Groomed snowmobile trails
Jackpine Snowmobile Club

Timiskaming Abitibi Trail Association

Cross country skiing
(groomed trails from Porquis Junction)

Iroquois Falls School of Dance

Fishing

Hunting

Skating

Hockey

Iroquois Falls Minor Hockey Association

Abitibi Eskimos

Baseball

Curling

Snowshoeing

Hiking trails

Bicycling

9 Hole Golf Course

Roller Blading

Judo

Kung-Fu

Water skiing

Canoeing & Boating
Twin Falls Marina &
Campground

Volleyball court

Badminton Club

Bowling

Swimming

Tennis Court

Many beaches, lakes and rivers and
Camping
Cameron's Beach


PARKS & PICNIC SITES


- Anson Memorial Park (cornre of Anson Drive and Veteran Drive)
- Devonshire Park (On Devonshire Ave., across from the Auberge MacDonald Guest Inn)
- M.A.A. Park (Paradis Ave.)
- Dr. Haskins and Dr. Hall Park (across from Anson General Hospital)
- DeMaricourt Park (DeMaricourt Ave.)
- O'Mara Park-
Hwy 11 Just north of the municipal airport
- Monteith Park

Labyrinth at Anson Memorial Park
Labryinth-photo by Dragonfly Spins
Anson Memorial Park
Devonshire Park-photo by Dragonfly Spins

Royal Bank Parkette-photo by Dragonfly SpinsThe Historic Gibbens and Davis Boats

Located at Anson Memorial Park: The Trueman Gibbens and the Clark Davis Boats were transported from Owen Sound by train and were assembled and launched in Lowbrush in 1947 and 1951 respectively. Specifically designed for work in the shallow waters of Lake Abitibi of depths less than 10 feet, the boats used their 3000 pound anchors to move large tows exceeding 7000 cunits of wood. These boats had an all steel construction, were 85 feet in length, 18 feet across the beam, and had a crew of ten men. They had drafts of only 3 feet 6 inches. Their anchors were attached to 5000 feet of 1 1/8 inch cable. The boats would sail to an area selected by the captains, drop anchor, hook their tows and then winch the log booms to their anchors. These gigantic log booms would then journey by water to the paper mill for pulp and paper production. The final year of service for the boats was 1972, when a change in the company's cutting methods meant that wood for the mill be transported by land instead of waterways.

Abitibi Golf Course 705-258-3590
Abitibi Golf Course - photo by Dragonfly SpinsOpen to Public * 9 Hole Golf Course * Green Fees * Club House

Earl Porter Lanes  705-232-6780 (Bowling)

GREAT Fun for the Whole Family!

Renewly refinished facility features 6 lane bowling * Snack bar * 1 pool table

Book your special events party here! Birthdays, Anniversary, Reunion, you name it!

Earl Porter Lanes is also the new home of the Iroquois Falls & District Chamber of Commerce and H&R Block
The Adult Learning Centre is located here as well.

THE SHAY ENGINE


The Shay engine was built in 1924, at the Baldwin Lima Hamilton Corporation Works, Lima, Ohio. The shay-geared class 70 three-truck locomotive 3298 was designed by Ephraim Shay for steep grades, poor track, sharp curves, and the inferior engineering of North America's logging and mining railroads.  With the three vertical cylinders, the Shay locomotives were built for power and traction, not speed.  Their speeds averaged only 12 - 18 MPH. Our Shay 3298 (Number 70) was believed to be the last working Shay in North America. It worked in the Iroquois Falls bush operations from 1947 to 1956, and in the mill yard until the mid 1970's.  In the spring of 1979, the Shay was donated to the Town of Iroquois Falls, and became a static display next to the old train station.  It is now situated in Anson Memorial Park where it has been restored.

Veterans Memorial Park

Located on corner of Veterans Drive and Devonshire Avenue.

Veterans Memorial Park was built (2005-2009) as a tribute to the servicemen and women of Iroquois Falls who served in Canada's Armed Forces in the Boer War, World War I, World War II, Korea, Un, Nato.

It was made possible by the combined efforts of the town of Iroquois Fals, volunteers, many local contractors and businesses, and by the generous financial contributions of the families, friends and supporters of this tribute to Canadian veterans from this municipality.

Branch 70 of the Royal Canadian Legion has been honoured to develop this park as a lasting memorial to our comrades.

We will remember them.

Veterans Memorial Park-photo by Dragonfly Spins

HISTORICAL SITES

DeTroyes Plaque

Located on the corner of DeTroyes Ave., and Teefy Street. This plaque is dedicated to a remarkable military expedition led by Chevalier Pierre Detroyes, The expedition passed through here in early June 1686

Sgt. Aubrey Cosens V.C.

Located in front of the Tourist Booth on highway 11.  This plaque honours one of Ontario's Victoria Cross winners for extreme bravery. Aubrey Cosens, raised in Porquis Junction, was posthumously awarded the Commonwealth's highest dedication for valour.

Frank H. Anson Monument

Located in the Anson Park. This monument was erected by the Abitibi Pulp & Paper Company and the citizens of Iroquois Falls. It commemorates the founder of Abitibi-Consolidated Inc., and Iroquois Falls. Located in Devonshire Park.

Frank H. Anson Monument in Anson Park

THE PIONEER MUSEUM


705-258-3730

A Definite Must See!

Lake Abitibi Cultural Heritage

Project ( Artifacts) exhibits on display

Discover the history of Iroquois Falls

Open seasonally during the summer months

THE JORDAN ARTIFACT COLLECTION
at The Iroquois Falls Public Library

705-232-5722

Housed in the Iroquois Falls Public Library, there are over 1000 pieces and the collection is the 15th largest in the world. Some dated pre-aged historic and pre-historic.

Public Internet Access is also available.


HISTORICAL & SIGHT-SEEING TOURS


Pulp and Paper Mill Tour - Combination Tour of Mill

Iroquois Falls Power Corp. (Co-Generation Plant) 705-232-4656

Nighthawk Aerial Tours 705-232-6435

Website designed and maintained by
Dragonfly Spins Graphic Design Services

© 2013 Iroquois Falls Chamber of Commerce. All rights reserved.  We ask that this material not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form without our prior permission. If you encounter problems viewing this site, please email.